The New Learning Center
The Learning Center at Bromley-Heath public housing development in Jamaica Plain, MA is a comprehensive approach to helping children succeed in school and life, an approach that looks at the whole child and family in the context of community. The center incorporates the most creative thinking and evidence-based practices from a variety of fields to create a unique and comprehensive neighborhood-centric early childhood education program that will serve families as well as their children. We broke ground in Bromley-Heath in December 2012 and have raised over 90% of the $15.6 million needed to construct the Learning Center.
Annually, the Learning Center will:
- Serve 175 children ages 0-8 years, their siblings and their families through wraparound preschool and after school programming.
- Provide 148 slots for parent/adult learners in career-focused courses
- Train 150 early educators in Boston to bring best practices to all Centers and Family Child Care programs
- Reach 1,000 low-income families with parenting workshops, financial literacy, and health/nutrition programs in coordination with the United Way
- Support other place-based initiatives
The Learning Center model relies on a network of partnerships with other organizations in the community that seek to provide complementary services. We will work together to pool our resources and deliver the most comprehensive care to children and families in the community.
Be on the lookout for more in-depth information about The Learning Center, including innovative programming details, full-color building and outdoor space drawings, and more.